|As usual, I need to inspect our pickings and ensure|
they meet my strict quality control standards
Plum Upside Down Cake
• 225g butter
• 225g caster sugar
• 4 eggs beaten with 3 tbsp milk
• 100g ground almonds
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 150g plain flour
• 50g unblanched almonds, chopped or bashed in a pestle and mortar
• 125g butter, plus extra for greasing
• 150g light brown soft sugar
• 600g plums or greengages, stoned, halved and cut into 1cm slices
|This was only some of the plums|
from Auntie Muriel's tree!
1. Start with the topping. Grease a 23cm-diameter round cake tin, then melt the butter in a pan. Stir in the sugar until the mixture is foamy and pale, about 2–3 minutes. (If it starts to separate, take it off the heat and keep stirring.) Pour into the cake tin and spread evenly. Arrange the plum slices in concentric circles over the topping, then put to one side.
|Layer the sliced plums in the bottom of the greased |
tin with the melted sugar and butter mixture
3. Pour the cake mixture over the plums. Place the cake tin on a baking tray and bake for about 1 hour or until golden and a skewer comes out clean. 4 Rest the cake on a wire rack for 2 minutes before sliding a knife around the edge to loosen it. Place your serving plate over the top of the cake and carefully invert onto the plate, avoiding any juices that may escape. Gently remove the tin and replace any dislodged pieces of fruit. Serve with custard, crème fraîche or ice cream.
|The very pretty, yummy plum cake|
Hope you love it as much as me!
There are lots of other lovely things you can do with plums from crumbles and chutneys to dipping sauces and jams. Plums can easily be frozen too - just cut in half, remove the stone and lay them on a baking tray with cling film over them. Once frozen, bag them and they will keep all winter and won't all be stuck together in one big lump! Ta dah! Yummy cakes at Vialii Towers all winter, yay!
|Or of course you can just eat the plums!|
1. I have a friend called Jamie and a friend called Oliver. They are brothers and are very cute. For boys ;)