|Make your own hairy caterpillar|
Most gardeners think I am weird as I love the "enemies" such as snails and caterpillars. In this blog I am going to show you how to make your own big hairy caterpillar which won't munch your cabbages. Instead it will grow some lovely cress for you! Here's how...
Make Your Own Hairy Caterpillar
You will need:
- A large egg box (10 or 12 eggs)
- Green paint
- Paint brush
- Marker pen
- Pipe cleaners
- Googly eyes
- Cotton wool
- Cress seeds
How to make:
1. Take your egg box and remove the top half. Ask a grown up to cut off the pointy bits so your egg box can sit flat when you turn it upside down. Now you can paint it green.
|Paint your egg box green (or any colour you want!)|
2. Cut out a round head from a piece of card and paint it green too. Leave the box and the head to dry then glue the head to the body.
|More painting - I love it!|
3. Add colourful pom poms to your caterpillar.
|Add some colourful pom poms |
(or glitter or whatever you like!)
4. Cut the pipe cleaners and make feelers and sellotape them to the back of the head. Glue on googly eyes and draw on a smiley mouth.
|Googly eyes are a must!|
5. Add cotton wool to each hole, pour in a little water to make it damp and then sprinkle your cress seeds. Pop it on a sunny windowsill and within a week you will see your cress sprouting and your caterpillar will become a hairy caterpillar! I love adding the cress to some boiled egg for eggy cressy sandwiches!
|Carefully sprinkle on your cress seeds|
|There you have it, your completed caterpillar!|
I'd love to see photos of your caterpillars too, please email them in to me.
Hugs & kisses,
A special thanks to Thinly Spread for the inspiration for this project.